Detail View: Architecture and Urban Planning Collection: St. Paul Roman Catholic Church

Work Record ID: 
729
Reproduction Record ID: 
729
Work Class: 
Architecture
Work Type: 
church
Title: 
St. Paul's Church Mart
Title Type: 
preferred
Title: 
St. Paul Roman Catholic Church
Title Type: 
alternate
Material: 
brick (clay product)
Material Type: 
other
Material: 
marble (rock)
Material Type: 
other
Material: 
stained glass (visual works)
Material Type: 
other
Creator: 
Hannaford, Samuel, 1835-1910
Creator Dates: 
1835-1910
Creator Nationality: 
American
Creator Type: 
personal
Creator Role: 
architect
Creator: 
Palmer, Seneca, active mid 19th century
Creator Nationality: 
American
Creator Type: 
personal
Creator Role: 
architect
Date: 
1980
Date Type: 
restoration
Date: 
1850
Date Type: 
creation
Location: 
Cincinnati (Ohio)
Location Type: 
site
Location: 
1117 Pendleton Street, Over-the-Rhine (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Style Period: 
Greek Revival
Style Period: 
Renaissance
Culture: 
American
Culture: 
German
Subject: 
Cincinnati (Ohio)
Subject: 
churches
Subject: 
pilasters
Subject: 
Over-the-Rhine (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Subject: 
entablatures
Subject: 
adaptive reuse
Subject: 
egg and dart moldings
Subject: 
quatrefoils
Description: 
"St. Paul's (St. Paulus Kirche) has simple lines, tall round-arched windows, and classic dentil and egg-and-art moldings. Doric pilasters support an unbroken entablature; the windows reflect Greek Revival or Renaissance influence. Quatrefoils on the carved doors and transoms supply a Gothic touch. In its design, St. Paul's resembles the almost contemporaneous St. Mary's . . . It's architect was Seneca Palmer the man responsible for Mrs. Trollope's Bazaar. A fire in 1899 left standing only the church walls and stained-glass windows. The present tower dates from that year. Samuel Hannaford and Sons replaced the earlier Gothic steeple (itself a replacement) with a neo-Baroque design that, rather surprisingly, culminates the symmetrical facade perfectly. On the steeple a German inscription reads "restauiert nach dem Brande" (restored after the fire). St. Paul's golden cupola, visible from Liberty Hill and many points in the Basin, serves the city as an important visual image."
Information Source: 
John Clubbe. Cincinnati Observed. Architecture and History. Columbus: Ohio State UP, 1991. 221.
Reproduction Creator: 
Cincinnati Preservation Association
Reproduction Creator Type: 
donor
Reproduction Date: 
1983
Reproduction Date Type: 
creation
Reproduction View: 
Nave
Reproduction View Type: 
interior view
Reproduction Rights Statement: 
These images are for non-profit use educational use. Publication, commercial use, or reproduction of material in physical or digital form requires prior written permission from the copyright holder.