Media Information

 
 
 
Collection name:
Architecture and Urban Planning Collection
Record:
Work Record ID:
5655
Reproduction Record ID:
5655
Work Class:
Architecture
Work Type:
county courthouse
Title:
Tuscarawas County Courthouse
Title Type:
preferred
Creator:
Boyd, Thomas, active late 19th century
Creator Dates:
1870-1900
Creator Type:
personal
Creator Role:
architect
Date:
1882-1884
Date Type:
creation
Location:
New Philadelphia (Ohio)
Location Type:
site
Location:
101 E. High Ave. (New Philadelphia, Ohio)
Culture:
American
Subject:
National Register of Historic Places
Subject:
arches
Subject:
columns (architectural elements)
Subject:
pediments
Subject:
balconies
Subject:
clock towers
Subject:
cupolas
Subject:
New Philadelphia (Ohio)
Description:
The Tuscarawas County courthouse was built from 1882-1884, during a time of prosperity, when many counties were constructing ambitious courthouses, competing with one another for the best building. Roman arches, square and round columns and Doric and Corinthian capitals are incorporated into this structure. Originally there was a zinc-plated statue of three women that sat on top of the building's dome, but it was replaced by a cupola with a brass eagle in 1973 after the original statue began to deteriorate.
Information Source:
Thrane, Susan W. County Courthouses of Ohio. Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 2000.
Reproduction Creator:
Deshon, Robert A., 1915-2007
Reproduction View:
Front facade
Reproduction View Type:
exterior view
Reproduction Information Source:
Ohio Historical Society
Reproduction Rights Statement:
These images are for non-profit use educational use. Publication, commercial use, or reproduction of material in physical or digital form requires prior written permission from the copyright holder.

Tuscarawas County Courthouse